As a buyer, it is important to be able to narrow down your home options when house hunting. But it is also important not to ignore a great home because you didn’t take the time to check out its potential. Here is a list of things you will want to pay close attention to when house hunting for a North Dallas property, and a list of things that you probably shouldn’t give too much of your time:
What to Look For
- Any signs of foundation problems (cracks in the foundation) - Foundation problems can be dramatic in terms of costs, and many home buyers simply don’t want to get caught up in a home with major problems, such as the foundation.
- Any signs of water problems (stained walls or ceilings) - If you see water marks anywhere on the ceilings in the home or even along the baseboards, it may indicate a big water problem, which may also mean there is a big mold or mildew problem.
- The size of the rooms – There are many things you can change about a house, but the size of the rooms usually isn’t one of them.
- The configuration of the home – If you want a home with a master bedroom on the first floor, then it only makes sense to consider homes with this feature. Or, if you must have a first-floor bathroom for guests, then the configuration of the home becomes quite important.
- The size of the yard and the privacy it provides – Where does the property line end? Are your neighbors facing your yard, or do other homes face your home, making privacy an issue?
- The location of the home (Is it on a busy street? Do the other homes in the area look well-maintained?)
- The age of the roof and the age of the windows – Replacing large items in the home, such as windows and the roof, can cost thousands of dollars.
- The updates throughout the home, including appliances and fixtures – Although it usually never makes sense to rule out a home because it is in need of updates, it is important to pay close attention to what the homeowner has already tackled and what will need updating.
- The color of the carpet
- The color of the walls
- The home’s decorations