Relocation 101: How to Ensure a Successful Relocation to San Antonio
San Antonio should, perhaps, be called the âcity of relocationâ because of its huge influx of residents in and out of the city at any time. The large number of relocations in San Antonio is due to the major military installations located here, but it is also quite common to find businesses and employees relocating to San Antonio because of the many employment and business opportunities found here.
Although your relocation strategy will differ depending on why and how youâre moving, but there are a set number of factors to consider before you make your move:
- Select a moving company. Before selecting a moving company, it is best to get quotes from several companies, as prices can vary widely from one moving company to the next. The services provided by moving companies may also vary, particularly when it comes to relocation and moving across the state or across the country. You may find that asking friends or family for suggestions on moving companies will help you narrow down your search, as will contacting the Better Business Bureau and asking for recommendations.
- The American Moving and Storage Association (AMSA) also strongly encourages people who are relocating to choose a moving company that is an AMSA member, as they are held to a number of terms of the organization; they must also participate in the Arbitration Program sponsored by the AMSA.
- When receiving estimates for your interstate move, you will likely receive quotes based on the weight of your belongings, as well as the distance your things will be shipped. The movers will be able to provide you with an estimate, so it is important to show them everything that will be moved (including the items in your garage, attic or on your back porch) so you will be certain your estimate is as close to your actual cost as possible. Because the process of relocating your family and all your belongings is an in-depth one, it is best to begin getting estimates long before you move.
- If you are packing yourself and not using the moving service to pack you, it is important to begin the process sooner than later so you and your family arenât overwhelmed with the sheer size of the job. If you have off-season or holiday items, for example, you can begin packing them immediately. It is also a good time to consider downsizing and not moving all your belongings with you. You may want to think about having a garage sale or donating items to your favorite charity instead of moving them. Remember: the fewer things you have to move the less stressful the process will be.
- Donât forget about forwarding your mail, cancelling your newspaper subscription and turning off your utilities. Make a list of things to do and tackle one item on your list each day as to not get overwhelmed. Also remember to send out change of address cards to everyone from your friends and family to your magazine subscriptions.
- Utilize the services of a San Antonio relocation service to help your family get settled in your new surroundings. Relocation services will help you with everything from finding a new home to enrolling your children in school. They can help you find an apartment or help you purchase a home; they can help you decide which area is best to live in; and they can help with the moving process. They may also help you attain temporary housing or they can pair you up with a San Antonio real estate agent when the time comes.