There is, perhaps, no better place to spend Christmas than in San Antonio. From holiday exhibits, parades and even lights to impress even the hardest to impress, Christmas in San Antonio is spectacular, so say the least. The best to really experience all the best that Christmas in San Antonio has to offer is to get out there and see for yourself what all the talk is about. Here is a list of our favorite San Antonio Christmas events that the whole family is sure to love!
- Of course, the holidays wouldn’t be complete without a trip to the famed River walk. The River Walk is adorned in more than 100,000 twinkling lights and more than 6,000 luminaries during the Fiesta de la Luminarias, a hundreds-year-old tradition that begins at dusk every Friday, Saturday and Sunday during the holiday season.
- The annual Light the Way display is also a must-do on your list of Christmas activities in San Antonio. This light display, through the University of Incarnate World, hosts more than a million lights in the night sky.
- Bundle the kids up and take a drive through the beautiful community of Windcrest, where the residents have, for decades, decorated their homes with elaborate holiday displays. Thousands of visitors wind their way through this San Antonio community every year!
- While you’ve got the family in the car, head over to Santa’s Ranch and drive through the amazing light display, which features more than one million lights and 100 displays and animations.
- Visit the Fort Sam Houston Field and experience American history and heritage at its best. Partake in the holiday customs and enjoy the beautiful scenery!
- Take some time to visit the Texas Transportation Museum during the month of December and enjoy moonlit train rides, hayrides and lovely Christmas music, courtesy of the San Antonio Ragtime Society!
- Head to Gateway Church and experience Christmas City, an outdoor presentation of the story of Christ’s birth. Live animals and costumed actors line the way to make this presentation larger than life! This event is free and takes place each Friday, Saturday and Sunday in December.